November 2, 2011

Why?

Apparently the professors are talking about me. One of them asked MC (another graduate student) why I was getting my Master's degree. Now, it could have been an innocent question, and that's how MC took it - or at least that's how he is telling me to take it - but I feel like it's as if the professors are saying "What is she doing here?" and it's making me ask the same question.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I don't like computer science. It was interesting the first 3 or 4 classes, then got tolerable, then got annoying, and now I just straight up dislike it. So why, why, why did I come back for another degree in it?!

Pa-tooey! I spit on you, computer science!

Hopefully this post won't cost me a job later on down the road, but if you can't be honest, what can you be?  My main life goal is to get a job that has nothing to do with any of this. Is that allowed?

I have to admit, I've been thinking a lot about *gasp* teaching. Don't tell my mother. I mean...what if I could get a job teaching at a community college? Something like the 1150 classes I've been teaching? Is that a possibility? Maybe?

I have got to get over this funk. It's like the dark side that comes after senior-itis. I'm not just over school, I'm over my chosen career path entirely.

4 comments:

  1. Don't be too hasty about deciding you hate the whole thing. You have only experienced academic computer science. The real world is a very different place. On the other hand, teaching is a noble profession as well. Just don't make a life decision based on your school experiences. Things may look a lot different outside of academia. And the professor was probably just wondering what you were planning on doing with your advanced degree. Paranoid much?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a high level of paranoia. ;)

    I am hoping to find a job I can enjoy, and am good at. I've always thought CS was a broad enough field to keep my options open. After watching my friends find jobs, and reading the job openings sent through the department, I'm starting to get worried it's a little more narrow than I was hoping for.

    But I just have to wait until it's time to start looking for a job. The perfect opportunity may present itself in the near future. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really know anything about it, but my advice would be the same. You've come this far, see how a job/real life treats you before you head off in a different direction.

    ReplyDelete