October 31, 2011

Bone Spurs

Bones spurs have always been a weird phobia of mine. Don't judge me - some old lady at the church I grew up in got one when I was young, and it's been in the back of my mind ever since. My sister has a bunion phobia. We're normal, back off.

I always imagined something similar to a rooster's spur, this big gnarly growth coming out of your ankle:
Source
My heel has been hurting the past couple days. When I put weight down on my right foot it's sore. Kind of like a bruise. So of course I started thinking about bone spurs again. And, like any normal person, I looked it up on WebMD - the Internet's gift to hypochondriacs. Side note: I spelled "hypochondriacs" right on the first try. Go me!

Unfortunately, WebMD did nothing to alleviate my fears. Apparently bone spurs are not like rooster spurs - they're just a little bit of extra bone: A bone spur (osteophyte) is a bony growth formed on normal bone. Most people think of something sharp when they think of a "spur," but a bone spur is just extra bone. It’s usually smooth, but it can cause wear and tear or pain if it presses or rubs on other bones or soft tissues such as ligaments, tendons, or nerves in the body. Common places for bone spurs include the spine, shoulders, hands, hips, knees, and feet. [...] For example, the long ligament on the bottom of the foot (plantar fascia) can become stressed or tight and pull on the heel, causing the ligament to become inflamed (plantar fasciitis). As the bone tries to mend itself, a bone spur can form on the bottom of the heel (known as a "heel spur"). 

!!!

Look at the "heel spur" link! *weeping* This is doing nothing for my paranoia! Thank you, WebMD. Thank you.

Please tell me you  have a ridiculous phobia, too. Please?

4 comments:

  1. My mom had 2, they were nothing. I doubt you'll get one and they're not a big deal anyway. Deep breaths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHERE WAS THIS THREE MONTHS AGO WHEN I WAS FREAKING OUT?!

      Delete
    2. Sorry lol, I'm doing better now though! I usually comment the same week as the post

      Delete
    3. As long as it's within the same month, it's acceptable. ;)

      Delete