April 22, 2013

DIY Update - Giving Up Shampoo

So, according to my schedule, this is where I post an update about my DIY adventures. Or home improvements. Eventually I need to link all of them in some fashion. But too lazy today.

I know I've mentioned going 'poo-less on here. I'm not sure how much detail I went into, or if it was even mentioned in its own post, or just in passing during other DIY stuff. There was some recipe I linked to that recommended 1 Tbs. of baking soda per 1 cup water for shampoo and 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar for 1 cup water as conditioner. So I tried that. My hair got...greasy. They say it takes time to acclimate, but... 1 Tbs. for 1 CUP is...not a lot. I posted about it on Facebook (I have a DIY album) and one of my friends said she used way more than that, and that she felt like as long as you rinsed thoroughly you couldn't really use too much. After more online research, I had to agree with her. I had read some posts where people were creating a paste with the baking soda, so...I was like "MOAR!" And now my hair has really cleared up! It's at least as healthy-looking/feeling as it was with shampoo/conditioner - if not more. I don't really pay attention. My face did break out while my hair was in the super oily stage there at the beginning, so THAT was super lame. But it's clearing up now, so huzzah!

As far as my "recipe".... *shrug - I just dump some baking soda into a ketchup container, then fill it up the rest of the way with water. And I do the same with the apple cider vinegar. Except I put that into a little spray bottle. So, as far as my showering routine goes (so glad you asked about that, by the way) - 1) I put baking soda in my hair, against my scalp. Only where my hair is long - I don't do anything with the sides. Start on my forehead and go down to my neck, then back up. Rub it in real nice - it's kind of gritty with the baking soda. Then rinse it. Whatever you do, don't get it in your mouth/eyes. Blech. 2) Then I take care of my body - soap, shaving, body scrub, whatever. 3) I finish by rinsing my hair one more time, to make sure I get all the baking soda out, and then I spray the tips with the vinegar. I do one side of my mohawk, and then the other. I'm not sure how you'd do this with normal hair. I don't care. I'm not sure it matters all that much.

Anyway - another DIY success! Hooray me! Picture below because I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment