October 17, 2012

TMI Baby Update (This is a long one!)

tl;dr: No babies for three months! (Starting back in August.)

If you've been keeping up with these (I know you haven't 8P), I haven't posted one in awhile.

No, I'm not pregnant! Goodness gracious... I just got on a new kind of birth control - the Depo Provera shot. I wanted to get the Implanon Rod, but my doctor told me people can have weird side effects from it and decide it's not worth it. But if you don't leave it in for at least a year, you lose money (compared to other forms of BC, like the pill). Once you've had it in for a year or two (it lasts three years) you've saved money (compared to other forms of BC, like the pill). So, anyway - the shot has the same hormones (read: same side effects) as the rod, it's just less of a commitment. It only lasts three months, instead of three years. And the idea of it freaks me out less. That rod is freaking huge (that's what she said) to be shoving it into my arm! I mean, they numb the skin and everything, but geeze...freaky.

So...yeah - Depo Provera. I've had it in for about two months now. No period the first month, which was sweet! But then I spotted for an entire month. >.< For those of you who don't know - "spotting" is when you don't really have a period, but you bleed a little. I knew it was a potential side effect, so I didn't really care at first. I just used it as a way to finally throw away some old underwear. 8D But then it didn't go away! I finally started using super-light tampons. I only needed them for the first half of the day - wore one until just after lunch then tossed it. So, yeah - not a HUGE deal, but it was annoying. It finally stopped this past week, though!

And now I don't know what to do. I want to get the shot ASAP because I want to leave it in for as long as possible (we're planning on starting to try to have kids somewhere around August 2015 which is now just under three years). But if I'm going to have month-long periods (or worse - the doctor said it's pretty bad for having "irregularly irregular" periods, in that you never know when you're going to have one, how long it's going to last, or how heavy it's going to be), I'm not sure I want to commit to living with it for three years. BUT! I did read (and the doctor confirmed) that most of the side effects wear off after the first year - once your body adjusts to the hormones. Sooo....is it worth it then?

Then - ANOTHER hitch in the plan - I just got offered a permanent position at work (yayayayay!). Which is great...except that puts a huge '?' on top of my insurance. I'm not sure when my official start date is here, but once it happens I won't have insurance for a month. And then I won't have the same insurance I have now. So I may not even be able to go back to the same doctor (that I only just started going to because the insurance I got through the contracting agency didn't cover the doctor I've been going to for the past six years). Oy!

And that's my baby update!

No comments:

Post a Comment