October 6, 2011

SNAFU

If you look up the definition of "SNAFU" in the dictionary, there is a picture of my life and the words "Situation Normal: All F*cked Up" Yes, I know "my life" is a very abstract thing to have a picture of. Also, made you swear again! Such a naughty reader, with your potty brain. Hehe - that reminds me of the line from Get Him to the Greek where Sergio (P. Diddy) is talking to Aaron (Jonah Hill) about how he's mind f*cking him and Aaron says "I hope you're wearing a condom, because I have a dirty mind." omg, that movie makes me lulz...

I promise I'll stop complaining in a day or so. Probably when Fall Break gets here. I tend to feel better once I get it all out in writing or in words. That's probably why I've kept journals for so long. I wrote regularly from the time I was 13 up until the wedding. Things just got so crazy then I got out of the habit, and haven't been able to get back in the groove. It makes me sad, and is partly why I started this blog. I'm almost always in front of a computer, bathing in the soothing glow of electronic light.

Just so you know, I will never stop rambling and getting off topic. It's a chronic condition, I'm afraid.

Anyway, on to the complaining: I had two projects, a homework assignment, and an exam this week. Plus, I had to give a quiz and begin lecture on a new topic in the class I teach. And the student I assist with 2170 had a project he kept asking me for help with. And if you know me at all (or any college student, really), you'll know I'm quite good at procrastination.

So, project one was due Monday night. I finally got it working on Monday afternoon, then almost forgot to submit it. The way that professor grades is using demos. Thank goodness I married Mr. T and my last name is now Wilson - it used to start with a B and I would have been one of the first to demo! I won't go into details, but let's just say my program didn't output properly with the type of demo the professor wanted. My lovely friend...(I'm running out of good nicknames)...MC is as good as it's going to get. Anyway - my lovely friend MC, who has saved my butt about a million times over the course of my college career - let me use his test file which worked with my program when the standard test wasn't working. I still need to figure out why...

Tuesday I had to give a quiz. Then I spent the afternoon grading labs and the quiz. This was a golden day to get stuff done, and I squandered it. Oh, joy - I spelled "squandered" right the first time. Mood lifted slightly.

Wednesday was exam day. I woke up at 8:00 and started working on a study guide. Minus a few (incredibly stupid) mistakes, I'm really hoping that went well. Not too impressed with it. The professor was making it about 30 minutes before class. She had way too much on it - I wouldn't say it was too hard, but there was too much to get done in the allotted time. Only a couple people left before class was over, and I'm not convinced that they didn't just give up.

I had to finish project 2 last night as well. It was due at 12:00am, and I think I had it finished at 11:45pm. I hate that feeling. It was just stupid little mistakes that took too long to find. Again, I won't go into details. But Geddy (he really loves Rush, so I name him after the singer ;) ) and I got it done! The professor (same one from the above-mentioned exam) handed out the grading rubric before the exam (Yes, you heard correctly - the lab was due the day of the exam. It was actually due the day before the exam, but we asked for an extension. She gave us one day.). (Holy moly there are a lot of parentheses in this paragraph.) On the rubric, two of the requirements she had given us weren't even listed. So two features I implemented (because her project requirement sheet said I needed them) I won't even get credit over. The entire first half of the page was dedicated to all the comments we needed for our code. I hate undergrad classes.

Since I didn't get finished with the project until 12:00am, I didn't have a chance to prepare a lecture for my 8:00am class. So I gave everyone extra credit for showing up and encouraged them to work on the MS Office practice labs I've been pushing all semester. They were cleared out by 8:45am. Whatever. Punk students. I've been in my office all morning working on the lectures for next week, and now their exam is a take-home over fall break. You're welcome, punks.

I probably got close to 1,000 words today! Wonder how many tl;dr comments I'll get... Hey, if I get comments at all it's a win for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment