- 1 cup borax
- 1 cup washing soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 1/2 cup kosher salt (for scrubbing action)
I wasn't able to find citric acid, so I bought powdered LemiShine instead. I still used half a cup. I assume this is acceptable. I also followed the FAQ that went along with the recipe - it said to leave it sitting out for several days, stirring it, to prevent clumping. That worked great! Until I got stupid. >.< The first couple days I left the lid off of the container and stirred it frequently. No clumping at all! Then I got cocky, and put the lid on it. It almost - almost - turned into a brick. I caught it in time, though! Took the lid back off, dumped some rice in, and stirred like crazy. I think the amount of it increased by 50%, because it's not a fine powder anymore, as much as it is a kind of chunky...something. Not huge chunks, mind you. But definitely less fine than when I first mixed it. We still haven't used it yet, since we had a few pouches of the old detergent. But the clumping problem has been resolved at least! Now let me dig through my phone pictures to find some to add to this...
So, yeah, that's that! I'll report back in after we've run a few loads with it, let you know my final opinion. Hopefully everything works out great!