March 3, 2013

Hopes and Dreams: Day 3

Day 3: Describe your relationship with your parents.

Eh...

I'd say it's pretty good. I'm definitely the black sheep of the family, and we've had some majorly rocky moments...but I haven't been disowned or had the desire to scream "IhateyouIhateyouIhateyou!" at them. So there's that. They're definitely not fans of my tattoos, or hairstyle choices. When Mom saw a liquor store purchase on my bank statement she flipped. her. lid. You know that weird scream-crying that only happens in movies? Oh that happened IRL. She told me it hurt worse than when her parents died in a car accident a few months prior (which, I feel, isn't true - Mom is a bit dramatic - but...maybe) and I should've just stabbed her in the back. We hide Mr. T's tobacco-stick addiction from them. Oh! Mom saw my hookah once, and tried to take it away from me. She said she would "give it back" which....made no sense. I was in my 20s at the time. I was like...what, you'll give it back when I turn 18?! I don't understand...

So, yeah - I'd say I've definitely caused more trouble for them than my brother or sister. But only because my parents' world is very (very) black and white, and Mr. T and I live in fifty shades of gray (snicker). Nothing in our world is as clear and simple as everything in my parents'. But they love me, and I love them. We've worked out a decent arrangement where we don't discuss anything that will upset them (aka - Mom). People are all "You're a married adult - don't hide your tattoos/drinking/etc. from your parents." and to them I saw "Are you a member of my family? No? Then stfu. This works for us."